Pizza is one of those foods that everyone loves, well nearly everyone. Rather than buying a takeaway or opting for a shop bought one, both of which can be expensive this is a fantastic cheaper alternative. I’m not pretending that this is authentic Italian cuisine but my children like it so it works for me.
I felt inspired to make these Flatbread Pizzas when I first found M&S’s new Oval Flatbreads (twin pack) for 99p. Although I can vouch the flatbreads taste delicious just as they are, pizza bases immediately sprung to mind. Of course you could make your own pizza dough, which is extremely satisfying but sometimes speed is of the essence. This recipe is especially quick if you make the tomato sauce base in advance.
As this recipe only uses half the tomato sauce base, I usually put the other half in a plastic container to be stored in either the fridge or freezer. Just on its own the tomato sauce is great with pasta.
This is an ideal recipe to get children involved with as they can do most of it themselves. Children enjoy their food so much more if they have made it themselves so why not have toppings that they would not normally try to entice them to eat new things. When we have had school friends round for tea this meal has proved a hit.
Tomato Sauce Base (enough for 4 pizza bases)
400g Chopped tinned tomatoes
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1. Empty the tinned tomatoes into a lidded saucepan, add the herbs, balsamic vinegar and a good grinding of black pepper. Stir ingredients well.
2. Bring to to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid partially on, stirring every now and again.
3. When ready you will have a lovely thick sauce.
Flatbread Pizzas (makes 2)
M&S Oval Flatbreads (twin pack)
50g grated cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
1/2 quantity tomato sauce base
Small handful of frozen sliced peppers
Small handful of frozen sweetcorn
1 slice of good quality ham (chopped)
1. Pre heat the oven to Fan 200c.
2. Lay the flatbreads on a non stick baking sheet. Spread the tomato sauce over the flatbreads leaving a gap around the edge.
3. Sprinkle on the cheese.
4. Top with the peppers, sweetcorn and chopped ham.
5. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until starting to crisp.
I normally serve the pizza with tomatoes and cucumber on the side. If you enjoy using this recipe please let me know as I love to hear your feedback.