Sometimes getting children to eat their greens can be an arduous task. Here I have combined spinach, with kids all time favourite, sausages and pasta, resulting in a tasty and easy dinner that can be rustled up after school in no time at all.
There were clean plates all round when I made this, so I thought I would share my success with you. Of course, it doesn’t have to be just for the children I suggest adding 1/4 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes to the sauce if you like things a bit spicy.
Sausage and Spinach with Fettucine Pasta
Ingredients (Serves 2 adults or 4 children)
3 organic pork sausages
1 very small onion (finely chopped)
50g frozen spinach
400g chopped tinned tomatoes
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
pinch of salt and pepper
200g fettucine pasta
Parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese grated
1. Heat the olive oil in a lidded casserole pan and sauté the onions.
2. Squeeze the meat out of the sausage skins and add to the pan, breaking up the sausagemeat with a spatula.
3. Cook until the onions are soft and the sausagemeat is cooked through.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes, mixed herbs, frozen spinach and season with salt and pepper.
5. Bring to the boil and then simmer with the lid partially on for about 20 minutes. Stirring every now and again.
6. Meanwhile cook the fettucine in a large saucepan of salted boiling water.
7. Once the fettucine is cooked reserve a little of the cooking water. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce.
8. Stir the sauce and pasta together whilst still on the heat and add a little of the reserved pasta cooking water to help emulsify the sauce.
9. Serve with a little grated cheese on top.
This delicious pasta is ready within 30 minutes. I hope you and your children like it. Like always let me know your thoughts.