If you had asked me what chorizo was ten years ago, I probably would not have known. My taste buds, eating and shopping habits have changed dramatically in recent years. I now shop for ingredients that would never have had entered my shopping basket before. I think it makes life a little more interesting trying out and learning about new foods.
The chorizo and spinach make this dish something really special. The paprika oils of the chorizo infuse into the tomato sauce and compliment the fresh wilted spinach perfectly. I’ve teamed this great combination with gnocchi which are little Italian potato dumplings. Everything works so well together. I promise you, you will absolutely love it.
Gnocchi with Chorizo, Spinach and Tomato Sauce
500g fresh gnocchi
75g cubed cooking chorizo
400g tin chopped tomatoes
Handful of fresh spinach
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Handful of grated mozzarella cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan.
2. Finely chop the onion and then sauté in the oil for about 3 minutes.
3. Add the chorizo to the pan and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes to the onions and chorizo, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes on a gentle heat.
5. Meanwhile, cook your gnocchi in a saucepan of salted boiling water.
6. Add the spinach to the tomato sauce and stir.
7. When the gnocchi floats to the top it is cooked. Drain the gnocchi and add to the tomato sauce. Carefully combine.
8. Transfer the gnocchi to 2 plates, sprinkle over the grated mozzarella cheese and place the plates under the grill until the cheese has melted.
This is definitely the sort of food I enjoy, I hope you like it too.
Until next time.