This sublime dessert is like a cheats ice cream, flavoured with dark chocolate and orange. It may not look the prettiest dessert but it certainly tastes heavenly. I think it is perfect for serving after dinner over the holidays as an alternative to Christmas pudding.
I’ve used Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Belgian Dark Chocolate with Orange, which contained pieces of candied orange. However, if you can’t get this I would suggest using a dark chocolate flavoured with orange or just a good quality dark chocolate instead.
Ingredients (Serves 8 to 10)
12 meringue nests (180g approx)
600ml double cream
100g dark chocolate with candied orange or dark chocolate flavoured with orange
8 tablespoons orange curd (best quality available)
1. In a large bowl whip the cream until you get soft peaks.
2. Crumble the meringue nests into the cream.
3. Chop the chocolate with a sharp knife into small chunks and add to the bowl.
4. Then, add 8 tablespoons of orange curd to the bowl. Gently stir the mixture around.
5. Line a 2lb baking tin with cling film with plenty of over hang. Then, carefully spoon the mixture into the lined tin pressing lightly so the mixture spreads to fill the whole tin.
6. Using the over hanging cling film, cover the top and then freeze for at least 4 hours until firm or overnight.
7. To serve remove the dessert from the tin and cling film about 15 minutes before cutting into 8 to 10 slices.
I really hope you give this recipe a try, it’s so simple you really can’t go wrong with it. Don’t forget you can leave your feedback in the box below.