Chilli Con Carne is a meal I’ve eaten and cooked many times, but until recently I always reached for a jar of cooking sauce. In my quest to become a better cook I’ve recently had a go at making my own. I researched which herbs and spices should be used and for this recipe I’ve added that magic ingredient, dark chocolate for richness.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
250g lean mince beef
1/2 tablespoon vegetable or sunflower oil
1 medium onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 tablespoon plain flour
400g tin chopped tomatoes
420g tin kidney beans in chilli sauce (Sainsbury’s stock these)
125ml boiling water
1/4 Kallo organic beef stock cube
10g dark chocolate (72% cocoa)
Sour cream (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large lidded casserole pan.
2. Finely chop the onion and then sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Then brown the mince in the same pan.
4. Add the cumin, ground coriander, oregano and chilli flakes. Cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add the flour, stirring on the heat for a minute.
6. Next, make up the stock using the stock cube and boiling water and add it to the pan. Also, add the tinned tomatoes, kidney beans in their chilli sauce, the chocolate and a good pinch of salt.
7. Stir everything round and bring to the boil. Then simmer on a low heat with the lid on for 45 minutes.
8. Serve on a bed of basmati rice and a dollop of sour cream, if you have it.
Do try this recipe, it really is quite delicious. Like always let me know what you think.
Until next time.