Oh my, you really must try this recipe it makes the most delicious flavoursome cheese and onion bread. The kitchen smells whilst this bread bakes are heavenly and I assure you, you will love it. Best of all because it is soda bread there’s no laborious kneading or waiting for dough to prove. This recipe was inspired by my lovely mum.
Cheddar Cheese and Onion Soda Bread
Ingredients (Makes 1 loaf)
400g plain white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
150g strong cheddar cheese (grated)
1 medium onion (chopped)
15g unsalted butter
1. Pre heat your oven to Fan 200c and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2. Heat the butter in a frying pan until melted, then sauté the onion until it is transparent and very soft. Set aside to cool.
3. Put all the dry ingredients except 50g of cheese in a bowl and stir with a wooden spoon. Then make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk. Mix with the wooden spoon and then bring the dough together with your hands to create a sticky dough.
4. Dust your work surface with flour, put the dough on the floured surface and shape into a flattened ball.
5. Place the dough onto the lined baking sheet and using a sharp knife cut deeply vertically and then horizontally over the dough to form a cross.
6. Sprinkle the remaining 50g of cheese on top.
7. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, then cover the bread with foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.
8. When fully baked the soda bread should sound hollow when tapped underneath and be beautifully golden brown.
9. Then allow to cool on a wire rack.
Soda bread is gorgeous served buttered along with a bowl of warm soup. I have a few soup recipes you may like to try Spicy Carrot Soup, Frugal Soup (butternut squash and carrot) and Roast Butternut Squash Soup.
If you enjoy making soda bread, give my Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Soda Bread recipe a go.
Do you have a favourite bread recipe? I would love to hear about it. Don’t forget to leave your comments in the box below.