I couldn’t let Valentine’s Day pass by without creating a little sweet treat. These buttery cherry shortbread heart biscuits are quite delectable. Present them in a pretty box and they’ll make a perfect present for your Valentine or maybe give them to your mum for Mother’s Day.
Ingredients (makes 18 depending on cutter size)
200g unsalted butter (softened)
100g golden caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g plain flour
Pinch of salt
50g glacé cherries (chopped)
Caster sugar, sugar hearts, pink crystal sugar and sprinkles for decoration
1. Line 2 baking sheets with non stick baking parchment.
2. Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
3. Sift in half of the flour, cornflour and salt. Then mix together.
4. Once combined sift in the remaining flour and cornflour. Add the cherries then mix until the mixture becomes like a biscuit dough.
5. Dust your work surface with cornflour and bring the dough together with your hands.
6. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 0.5cm, using a 8cm heart shape cutter cut out as many heart shapes as possible.
7. Then reform the dough. Roll out and cut out the remaining hearts.
8. Place the shortbread hearts on the baking sheets and put in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
9. Pre heat your oven to Fan 160c, then bake the shortbread for 20 minutes. Halfway through baking turn the baking sheets round and swap oven shelves. This will help the shortbread bake evenly.
10. The shortbread hearts will be pale gold when baked. Sprinkle the baked shortbread with a little caster sugar. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking trays and then transfer to wire racks to cool.
11. Finally decorate with the sugar decorations.
Whatever Valentine’s Day brings you, I hope you have a lovely happy day.
Until next time.