These dainty little scones are ideal for afternoon tea. Filled with chopped dates and glacé cherries then topped with demerara sugar they are incredibly tasty with a dollop of jam.
Ingredients (makes 14)
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g softened unsalted butter
25g caster sugar
30g chopped dates
30g chopped glacé cherries
1 egg beaten
1/2 tablespoon demerara sugar
1. Pre heat your oven to Fan 200c.
2. Put the flour and baking powder in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the caster sugar, chopped dates and cherries.
5. Make a well in the centre of the bowl and add the milk, using a blunt edge knife cut into the mixture until it forms a sticky dough.
6. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and work in a little flour so the dough is no longer sticky.
7. Roll out to a thickness of 2cm and then cut out rounds using a 5cm fluted round cutter.
8. Place the scones on two baking sheets, brush with a little beaten egg and then sprinkle on the demerara sugar.
9. Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown. Then cool on a wire rack. Serve buttered with lots of jam.
These really are little scones so if you prefer bigger scones I recommend you use a 6cm cutter instead.
If you like these Cherry and Date scones, you might be interested in my Cheese and Chive Scones too. For all you keen bakers like me I recommend you take a look at the Cakes and Bakes section of the blog for more baking recipes.