“Mum those cakes were really nice, they were really chocolatey” said my eldest.
Created to resemble an Easter bird nest these cupcakes are extremely chocolatey and utterly delicious. I think they make the perfect Easter treat for little and big kids alike. The cupcakes bases are a moist chocolate sponge, topped with chocolate buttercream and a layer of flaked chocolate to resemble a nest then finally finished off with Cadbury’s Mini Eggs. Chocolate and more chocolate, what’s not to like about these Easter Chocolate Cupcakes?
Don’t be put off by the length of this recipe, it is actually relatively quick as the sponge cupcakes are made using the all in one method. In fact, when I made these on Sunday morning I was all done and dusted by 10am. I was impressed!
Easter Chocolate Cupcakes
Chocolate sponge cupcakes
160g unsalted butter (very soft)
160g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
130g self raising flour
30g cocoa powder
2 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g dark chocolate (54% cocoa solids)
100g unsalted butter (very soft)
200g icing sugar (sifted)
1 tablespoon milk
1 bag of Cadbury’s Mini Eggs
8 small or 4 regular size Cadbury’s Flakes
Creme Eggs and little furry chicks not compulsory but totally cute
1. Pre heat your oven to 160c Fan (180c)
2. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
3. Put all the cupcake ingredients in the mixing bowl and beat well until the all the mixture is fully combined.
4. Using two dessert spoons, spoon the cake mixture into the cases and bake for 25 minutes until springy to touch.
5. Leave the cakes in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the buttercream begin by melting the chocolate over a bain-marie or in the microwave until fully melted, then allow to cool.
7. In a mixing bowl beat the butter and icing sugar together, then add the melted chocolate and beat again, then finally beat in the milk.
8. In a bowl crumble the flakes.
9. Using a palette knife spread each cake one at a time with the chocolate buttercream and then dip the cakes in the chocolate flakes (to create the bird nest effect).
10. Then top with 2 or 3 mini eggs. Enjoy!
I somehow think I’ll be making some more of these tasty little cupcakes in the next week or so. I hope you like them too.
Until next time.
If you like reading my blog I would be totally thrilled if you would nominate me in the BiB awards. Thank you so much.