The combination of apple and cinnamon scones with caramel sauce came about by happy accident. I had some left over caramel sauce in my fridge and thinking jam wasn’t quite right I put them together. You’ll thank me once you’ve tried out this combo because it is an amazing taste experience. Apple and cinnamon are perfect partners we all know. Serving these scones with caramel sauce takes everything to a whole new level.
These tasty scones are super quick to prepare and bake, making them ideal if you need a home baked treat at short notice. Try them for yourself. Enjoy!
Ingredients (makes 8)
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
50g unsalted butter
25g caster sugar
1 Pink lady apple finely diced (5mm)
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 tablespoon demerara sugar
Caramel sauce to serve
1. Pre heat oven to 200c Fan.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together in a bowl.
3. Rub in the butter to resemble fine bread crumbs.
4. Stir in the caster sugar and diced apple.
5. Make a well in the centre and add the milk a little at a time, using a blunt edge knife to work into the flour mix. Keep adding the milk until you get a dough.
6. On a floured surface work in a little flour so the dough is no longer sticky, then roll out to a thickness of 2 to 2.5cm.
7. Using a 6cm fluted cutter cut out 8 round, reforming the dough if necessary.
8. Place on a baking sheet, then brush the tops with a little beaten egg and sprinkle on the demerara sugar.
9. Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
10. Enjoy sliced with a generous amount of caramel sauce.
If you like these scones, then I recommend you try my other scone recipes too.
Until next time.