Wow, these cupcakes are zing, zing, zingy! I love to try new things in the kitchen. So when the chance arose to review some new flavoured icing sugar and flavoured cocoa powder from Sugar and Crumbs, I thought why not. I created this recipe with the chocolate lime cocoa powder and coconut lime icing sugar samples they sent me. The chocolate lime cupcakes have an incredible zingy lime flavour yet still retain a very chocolatey taste. The buttercream icing made with the coconut lime icing sugar is quite delicious with the sharp lime cutting though the sweetness of the coconut. So if you like lime, then you’ll love these cupcakes.
Ingredients (makes 12)
Chocolate lime cupcakes
160g unsalted butter (softened)
160g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
130g self raising flour
30g Sugar and Crumbs chocolate lime cocoa powder
2 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Coconut Lime Buttercream
125g Sugar and Crumbs coconut lime icing sugar
60g unsalted butter (softened)
1 teaspoon milk
Dried sweetened coconut to decorate
1. Pre heat your oven to 160c Fan (180c)
2. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
3. Put all the cupcake ingredients in the mixing bowl and beat well until the all the mixture is fully combined.
4. Using two dessert spoons, spoon the cake mixture into the cases and bake for 25 minutes until springy to touch.
5. Leave the cupcakes in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the buttercream cream the butter, icing sugar and milk together until the mixture is light and airy.
7. Spread the buttercream on top of each cupcake and then coat generously with the dried sweetened coconut. Enjoy!
So do you love lime or do you loathe it. I guess I’m in the love it camp.
Until next time.
I was sent free samples of the Sugar and Crumbs cocoa powder and icing sugar to review. All opinions are my own and are completely honest. The recipe is my own.