Bakewell tart is one of my absolute favourite tarts. I love the moist almond frangipane and jam filling encased in sweet shortcrust pastry, there really is nothing better. So I was delighted when Sugar and Crumbs sent me their Cherry Bakewell icing sugar to review. Using the sample I made a batch of buttercream to top some almond cupcakes. Oh my, am I pleased with result. The cherry bakewell buttercream is sublime, it really is quite heavenly and truly captures the essence of a cherry bakewell tart. These cupcakes were a huge hit with all the family. I recommend you try these for yourself.
Cherry Bakewell Buttercream Cupcakes
160g unsalted butter (softened)
160g caster sugar
3 medium eggs beaten
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
160g self raising flour (sifted)
Optional: cherry jam
Cherry Bakewell Buttercream
250g Sugar and Crumbs cherry bakewell icing sugar
125g unsalted butter (softened)
1 teaspoon milk
Fresh cherries to serve
1. Pre heat the oven to Fan 165c or a conventional oven about 180c. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Pour the almond extract into the beaten eggs. Gradually add the beaten eggs to the butter and sugar a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. If you think the mixture looks curdled add some flour.
4. Fold in the sifted flour, I usually do this half at a time until combined.
5. Using two dessert spoons, spoon the mixture into the cases.
6. Place into the pre heated oven for about 20 minutes.
7. The cakes are ready when they are lightly golden and springy to touch. You can test by inserting a cocktail stick or a piece of dry spaghetti into the centre of a cake; if it comes out clean then they are done.
8. Allow the cakes to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
9. Optional: Hollow out the top of the cupcake and fill with a teaspoon of cherry jam.
10. To make the buttercream, cream together the butter, icing sugar and milk until light and airy. Using a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle pipe a small swirl on top of each cupcake. Enjoy with fresh cherries.
Sugar and Crumbs also sent me samples of their chocolate lime cocoa powder and coconut lime icing sugar, which I used to create tasty Chocolate Lime Cupcakes with Coconut Lime Buttercream.
Until next time.
I was sent free samples of the Sugar and Crumbs cocoa powder and icing sugars to review. All opinions are my own and are completely honest. The recipe is my own.