Since I discovered that lemon and chilli go brilliantly together I’ve been experimenting with the pairing in a few different recipes. When I posted a recipe recently for Spelt Spaghetti with Petit Pois and Prawns, I received a comment from Sarah suggesting substituting the prawns for salmon. What a fantastic idea I thought! Therefore this salmon recipe is somewhat evolved from that original recipe of mine.
I’ve oven roasted the salmon in a lemon and chilli marinade, which is so incredibly easy. It really gives the salmon a lovely lemon taste with a little heat from the chilli flakes. The roasted salmon is then flaked into cooked orzo pasta with a good handful of peppery rocket stirred in too. It couldn’t be simpler.
Ingredients (Serves 1 easily doubled)
175g salmon fillet (boneless)
1/2 lemon juice and zest
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon chilli flakes
A pinch of sea salt
75g orzo pasta
A good handful of rocket leaves
1. Pre heat the oven to Fan 180c.
2. Place the salmon fillet on a large piece of foil.
3. Make the marinade by putting the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, chilli flakes and salt in a clean jam jar or lidded container. Seal with the lid on and shake well.
4. Pour the marinade over the salmon. Bring the foil edges together and seal well to form a parcel. Roast the salmon for 15 minutes until cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, cook the orzo in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain when cooked and return the orzo back to the saucepan.
6. Flake in the salmon and add the rocket. Add a tiny amount of the marinade (not too much otherwise it will be too oily) and a good grinding of black pepper then stir to combine. Serve immediately.
I recommend you try this salmon orzo salad with a glass of chilled white wine making it perfect for sultry summer evenings.
Until next time.