These delicious Pepper Flatbread Pizzas are hugely popular with all my family. For me that makes them a winning dinner solution. I think the secret to these is the richly flavoured tomato sauce with herbs and balsamic vinegar. Pizzas can be a bit time-consuming but these are pretty quick to rustle up because I have a couple of cheats I use and even more so if you make the sauce in advance. My first cheat is that I use oval flatbreads from Marks and Spencer as the pizza bases which taste really good and second is I use frozen pre sliced peppers.
My children sometimes help me make these pizzas and they love feeling involved in preparing their own food. It’s a brilliant way to encourage any reluctant eater to try new pizza toppings.
Here’s the recipe for Pepper Flatbread Pizzas.
Ingredients (Serves 2 with extra sauce for 2 more pizzas)
400g chopped tinned tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
M&S Oval Flatbreads (twin pack)
50g grated hard mozzarella cheese
Small handful of frozen sliced peppers
1. Firstly, make the tomato sauce by putting the tinned tomatoes into a saucepan with the herbs, balsamic vinegar and a good grinding of black pepper. Stir the ingredients well.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes stirring every now and again. As you only need half the sauce freeze the remaining half for another day.
3. Meanwhile, pre heat the oven to Fan 200c.
4. Lay the flatbreads on a non stick baking sheet. Spread the tomato sauce over the flatbreads leaving a gap around the edge.
5. Sprinkle on the cheese.
6. Top with the frozen peppers.
7. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until starting to crisp.
I only literally had a minute to take the photo of this pizza as my daughter was waiting very patiently for her dinner. If I’m serving the pizzas for me and my husband I usually top each pizza with sliced pepperoni and serve with a rocket salad instead.
I hope you and your family enjoy these Pepper Flatbread Pizzas as much as mine do.
Until next time.