While we enjoy the summer heat thoughts often turn to outdoor eating, if barbecue food is not your thing then try these Tomato and Mozzarella Tarts that scream summer. Using the classic flavour combo of tomato and mozzarella, these delicious individual puff pastry tarts should appeal to most people. I think they are brilliant for a tasty weekend lunch or a light dinner. Being quick and simple to prepare makes them a superb recipe to add to your cooking repertoire. As you’ve probably guessed I’ve used shop bought ready rolled puff pastry. I love how easy it is to use and for me time is often short, I think it’s a great shortcut product.
Here’s the recipe for Tomato and Mozzarella Tarts.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
320g puff pastry (ready rolled)
220g mozzarella pearls
12 pomodorino tomatoes
8 teaspoons sun dried tomato paste
salt and pepper
1. Unroll the pastry 10 minutes before you want to use it and pre heat the oven to Fan 200c.
2. Cut the pastry into 4 rectangles, measuring approximately 17.5cm x 12cm in size and place on a greased baking sheet.
3. Using a sharp knife score a border 1.5cm inside each pastry rectangle to create the tart edge. Using a fork prick holes on the pastry base. This will stop the inside of the tart rising.
4. Spread 2 teaspoons of tomato paste on each tart base.
5. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthways, then top each tart with 6 tomato halves and 4 mozzarella pearls.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes until the pastry is puffed and crisp.
I served the tomato and mozzarella tarts with a rocket and spinach salad dressed with a splash of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, finished off with grated parmesan cheese. The salad is a must, do try it too.
I hope you enjoy.
Until next time.