I’ve been told this is the yummiest crumble I’ve ever made. Using seasonal tart blackberries and glorious Bramley apples made this a delightful crumble to be enjoyed with custard (my preference), ice cream (the kids favourite) or cream. This mix of fruit has the perfect balance between sweetness and sharpness. I promise, you won’t be disappointed with it.
We enjoyed our crumble after our non traditional Sunday lunch of sausages and mash, it went down a treat with everyone. I hope you enjoy it too.
Apple and Blackberry Crumble
225g plain flour
75g unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
65g light muscovado sugar
35g golden caster sugar
50g porridge oats
Apple and Blackberry filling
450g-500g Bramley apples (I used one very large apple)
1 tablespoon water
75g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Peel and slice the apple, place in a saucepan with the water and heat gently until beginning to soften. Then transfer to a shallow pie dish.
2. Meanwhile, make the crumble topping by rubbing the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Then, stir in both types of sugar and the porridge oats.
3. Scatter the blackberries over the apple.
4. Mix golden caster sugar and cinnamon together, then sprinkle over the blackberries and apple.
5. Pre heat the oven to 180c Fan. Spread the crumble topping across the sugared fruit so it’s completely covered. Then bake the crumble for 40 minutes until the top it’s golden and the fruit is soft. Enjoy with custard, ice cream or cream.
I’ve got a funny feeling I’ll be making it again this weekend.
Until next time.
I’ve entered this recipe into #CookBlogShare at Supergolden Bakes.