With pumpkins piled high in the shops, now is just the right time to make this delicious pumpkin soup. Of course, if you have carved a pumpkin for Halloween then this recipe is a great way of not wasting the pumpkin flesh. It’s a hearty earthy soup, ideal for warming those toes after trick or treating or why not serve it on Bonfire night around the roaring bonfire.
Roast Pumpkin Soup
600g pumpkin (peeled weight and cut into chunks)
1 medium onion (cut into 8 wedges)
600ml boiling water
1 Kallo organic chicken stock cube
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon runny honey
salt and black pepper
handful of pumpkin seeds to serve
1. Pre heat the oven to Fan 200c.
2. Put the pumpkin chunks and onion wedges in a large roasting tray, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle over the allspice. Toss to ensure the pumpkin and onion are evenly coated. Roast for 30 minutes.
3. Make up the stock with the boiling water and stock cube.
5. Put the cooked pumpkin and onion into a blender, then add half the stock, honey, a pinch of salt and a grinding of black pepper then blitz.
6. Add the remaining stock and blitz in the blender again until smooth, adding a little extra water from the kettle to get the desired consistency.
7. Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds and crusty seeded bread on the side.
Happy Halloween, until next time.