Soda bread is a delicious and easy no knead bread traditionally associated with Irish baking. I make soda bread quite often but like to ring the changes by adding different ingredients. This time I’ve baked a super tasty wholemeal loaf using Seasoned Pioneers Eight Seed Mix, which is a delicious mix of mini seeds including white sesame seeds, brown linseed, black sesame seeds, nigella seeds, chia seeds, blue poppy seeds, white poppy seeds and golden linseed. You can see my original review for Seasoned Pioneers here.
Soda bread is incredibly easy to prepare and requires absolutely no kneading, making it a wonderful bread to bake when time is short.
Eight Seed Wholemeal Soda Bread
200g wholemeal plain flour
200g plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50g eight seed mix (Seasoned Pioneers)
Extra seeds and flour for sprinkling on top
1. Pre heat your oven to Fan 200c and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2. Put all the dry ingredients including the eight seed mix in a mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Then, make a well in the centre.
3. Pour in the buttermilk and stir the mixture, finally bring the dough together with your hands.
4. On a floured surface shape the dough into a ball and then flatten. Place on the lined baking sheet and sprinkle with plain flour.
5. Using a sharp knife cut across the dough vertically and horizontally, forming a cross in the dough. Sprinkle a few extra seeds on top.
6. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then cover with foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.
7. Once baked the loaf will be golden brown and sound hollow when tapped underneath. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Here’s my step by step recipe photo guide on how to make soda bread.
Soda bread is delicious eaten quite simply spread with butter and a chunk of good mature cheddar cheese. It also makes a hearty accompaniment to a bowl of warm homemade soup.
The eight seed mix is available to buy from Seasoned Pioneers online or in Lakeland stores, alternatively you can substitute the seeds for any combination of seeds you like.
Happy St Patrick’s day.
Disclosure: I was sent free samples of Seasoned Pioneers products to review. I have not been sponsored or paid for my review. All opinions are honest and my own. The recipe is my own.