Last year I baked these extremely chocolatey and utterly delicious Easter bird nest inspired cupcakes, with the Easter holidays not far away I wanted to share them with you again (just in case you missed them!). The cupcakes bases are a moist chocolate sponge, topped with chocolate buttercream and a layer of flaked chocolate to resemble a nest then finally finished off with Cadbury’s Mini Eggs. Chocolate and more chocolate, what’s not to like about these Extremely Chocolatey Easter Cupcakes?
Don’t be put off by the length of this recipe, it is actually relatively quick as the sponge cupcakes are made using the all in one method.
Extremely Chocolatey Easter Cupcakes
Chocolate sponge cupcakes
160g unsalted butter (very soft)
160g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
130g self raising flour
30g cocoa powder
2 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g dark chocolate (54% cocoa solids)
100g unsalted butter (very soft)
200g icing sugar (sifted)
1 tablespoon milk
1 bag of Cadbury’s Mini Eggs
8 small or 4 regular size Cadbury’s Flakes
Creme Eggs and little furry chicks not compulsory but totally cute
1. Pre heat your oven to 160c Fan (180c)
2. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
3. Put all the cupcake ingredients in the mixing bowl and beat well until the all the mixture is fully combined.
4. Using two dessert spoons, spoon the cake mixture into the cases and bake for 25 minutes until springy to touch.
5. Leave the cakes in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the buttercream begin by melting the chocolate over a bain-marie or in the microwave until fully melted, then allow to cool.
7. In a mixing bowl beat the butter and icing sugar together, then add the melted chocolate and beat again, then finally beat in the milk.
8. In a bowl crumble the flakes.
9. Using a palette knife spread each cake one at a time with the chocolate buttercream and then dip the cakes in the chocolate flakes (to create the bird nest effect).
10. Then top with 2 or 3 mini eggs. Enjoy!
Until next time, happy Easter baking.
It’s that time of year again when bloggers go a bit crazy asking for nominations in the Brilliance in Blogging (BiB) awards. Last year Julie’s Family Kitchen was short listed but unfortunately didn’t make the final. So, if you have enjoyed reading my foodie blog I would really really appreciate it if you could take 2 minutes to nominate for me in the Brilliance in Blogging awards (food category) 2015. Thank you so much and a virtual slice of cake is on its way to you. xxx
Brilliance in Blogging Nomination Form